At St. John's we aim to develop a love and appreciation of reading which will stay with children for life. We hope to achieve this through careful planning and teaching using up-to-date strategies and texts. We aim to use good reading materials and resources within Literacy lessons, guided reading, whole class reading and 1:1 sessions and to provide a breadth and range of reading material in school.
It is our aim to allow children the opportunity
- To experience reading in a variety of situations so that it becomes a pleasurable & productive experience.
- To access a wide range of print materials, including all genres of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, plays & pupils own writing.
- To progress to becoming selective in their choice of reading materials.
- To be knowledgeable about the purpose and organisation of books.
- To nurture a love of reading.
- To learn to read through a variety of methods.
- To read to themselves or to others (peers and adults)
- To read to a variety of audiences and to hear adults and children read to them.
- To read regularly and to develop a respect for books.
- To receive reading provision and support appropriate to individual ability.
- To become aware of the link between reading and writing.
- To use ICT to further the development and love of reading.
At St John's we use Active Learn, Bug Club reading scheme as our main reading scheme throughout the school as this includes both hard copies and electronic versions of texts online. These include fiction, non-fiction and phonetically decodable books. We enhance this reading scheme to give our children variety. Some of the other book bands we use to supplement this scheme include:
- Rising Stars
- Oxford Reading Tree
- Project X
- Pocket Books
- Rigby Star
Within our Key Stage Two guided reading sessions, we use a number of different schemes:
- Bug Club
- Rigby Navigator and Navigator Max
Below you will find key information about the scheme and how you can get involved. We hope that you and your child will love these books and enjoy reading them at home.
What is Bug Club?
Bug Club is a levelled reading scheme, which ensures that all children can find books at exactly the right level for them.
Using the online reading world
Bug Club is an e-book reading scheme that your child will use for independent reading at home throughout the week. Each child has a unique homepage and can log into it by following these steps:
- Go to www.activelearnprimary.co.uk
- Enter your child’s login details (provided by the class teacher)
- Your child’s homepage will appear.
Reading a book online
We allocate books to your child according to their reading levels. These books will appear in the ‘My Stuff’ area of their personal homepages There are quiz questions for your child to complete. By answering these questions, your child will earn ‘ActiveLearn Coins’. By reading more books, your child will earn enough coins to ‘buy’ a reward in one of the many reward schemes.
We hope your child enjoys reading on Bug Club!
If you have any queries, please speak with your child’s teacher.